Dear family and friends of St. James,
Yes! I really am enthusiastically asking you to explore Matthew Ball’s book, The Metaverse, And How It Will Revolutionize Everything this spring and summer, in an effort for us as a faith community to remain informed about the world we live and the metaverse as it’s in the throes of becoming a reality.
Technology is one of our core values here at St. James, and Mathew Ball’s book offers an insightful exploration of the potential of the metaverse, and why it is becoming increasingly important for people to understand its concept.
So, what exactly is the metaverse? It is the “persistent and interconnected network of 3D virtual worlds that will eventually serve as the gateway to most online experiences, and underpin much of the physical world,” says Ball.
And here are 10 reasons why I am asking our faith community to read and engage in this book to remain tech leaders in The Episcopal Church:
- The book provides a unique perspective on the future of virtual and augmented reality.
- It explores the social, cultural, and economic implications of a fully realized metaverse.
- It presents a vision of the future that is optimistic, forward-thinking, and inspiring.
- It provides a roadmap for how faith communities can engage with and benefit from the metaverse.
- The book offers a fresh perspective on how we can use technology to build more meaningful and fulfilling connections.
- It challenges us to think beyond the limitations of our current reality.
- It encourages us to be proactive in shaping the future rather than passively accepting whatever comes our way.
- The book provides a framework for understanding the metaverse as a new form of social and economic infrastructure.
- It draws on a wide range of disciplines, from economics to psychology to sociology.
- It presents a compelling case for why the metaverse matters and why we should care about it.
(The 10 reasons were written by ChatGPT4.)
Matthew Ball is the CEO of Epyllion and former global head of strategy for Amazon Studios. He has written for the New York Times, the Economist, and Bloomberg. He is an experienced industry insider who understands the metaverse ecosystem intimately, and offers a nuanced and detailed understanding of the challenges and opportunities presented by the metaverse. His book is a must read for those who want to remain current and aware of our tech future. Check out his video on the metaverse at https://youtu.be/4S-4mTvK4cI